The Center for Global Development, an independent, non-partisan research organization in Washington, DC seeks a Research Assistant to support the work of the Director of Global Health Policy. The successful candidate will have experience with research in economics and/or Global Health Policy. The RA must demonstrate strong quantitative, analytical and communications skills.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Global Health Policy, the successful candidate will perform a range of project research, quantitative analysis, policy analysis and other duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Assist with research/conduct data and literature searches for ongoing CGD global health initiatives and projects. Areas of focus include: aid effectiveness in global health, value for money of global health funders, applications of behavioral economics in global health, data for African development and priority-setting in health for low- and middle-income countries.
- Provide support with all aspects of running a new working group on fiscal federalism of healthcare, including identification and supervision of case study authors, scheduling interviews, doing background research and drafting background papers.
- Conduct statistical analyses and econometric modeling using Excel, STATA, R, or other software tools; prepare tables, write blogs/briefs/working papers and make graphs to present those results.
- Organize and attend meetings/conferences related to research priorities.
- Provide other research, writing and editing support for various reports and documents.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of Senior Research staff.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field; advanced degree is preferred but not required.
- 1-2 years professional experience in the global health field is preferred but not required.
- Coursework on social science research methods and analysis (ideally one or more of the following: econometrics, demography, biostatistics).
- Solid research and data analysis skills with a focus on policy.
- Outstanding communications and writing skills in English.
- Essential software skills: STATA for the descriptive and econometric analysis of cross-section and panel data. MS Excel to construct spreadsheet models and to make publication quality graphics. Advanced MS PowerPoint or LaTeX for presentations. Advanced MS Word.
- Familiarity and interest in global health.
- Confidence and can-do attitude; ability to advance projects with hands-off supervision.
- Comfort working independently, with small groups and interacting with senior staff.
- Good humor and collegiality essential.
Applicants for vacancy should send a short cover letter, a CV, a short writing sample and a sample Stata do-file which displays knowledge of Stata and of some basic econometric applications, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the title “Research Assistant –Global Health” in all e-mail correspondences. No phone calls please.
CGD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job. Finalist(s) for this position may be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment.
About the Author: email@example.com